Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

True Life Challenge - Grace Through Humility

Jas 4:6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."


mp3 audio file


As I think about this verse today I ask myself one question. If God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble, how is a proud person able to become humble? C. S. Lewis, in his book Mere Christianity, puts it this way:

"There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others. The vice I am talking of is Pride or Self-Conceit: and the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called Humility." - C. S. Lewis

So back to the question... how do we defeat this pride in our life that is most disliked by others? How do we conquer this unpopular vice and pursue true humility? Most people who struggle with pride, according to Lewis, are simply unconscious of it in themselves. It is a viscous circle that requires divine intervention.

The first step to true Christian humility is coming to the realization that pride is an abomination to God and separates us from Him (Pro 16:5). In addition to separation from God, it also separates us from other people. Once we identify pride in our heart, we can begin dealing with the sin and working toward becoming right with God. Jas 4:10 tells us to humble ourselves before the Lord. This requires that we profess the condition of our heart to God. The ugliness, worthlessness, and sinfulness that dwells inside of us. Admit that we are nothing apart from Jesus and we require complete dependence on Him.

Daily In Christ - True Life Challenge

Today's True Life Challenge is this. Pray Psalm 139:23-24 and ask God to reveal your heart. Then, when you have identified anything that might be grievous, ask the Lord to cleanse it from you.

Psa 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

Blessings to you today as you draw close to Him.

For a direct link to save audio file right click here and "save as."

No comments: