Our conversation got me thinking about the relationship I have with Lori and the way we work together as a husband and wife. Do we run the race together with our legs tied well and our feet moving in the same direction? Or, are we constantly trying to untie our leg, run in opposite directions, and/or falling all over each other?
So today's marriage minute I wanted to share some things that a couple can do to work more like a team rather than running in different directions. It isn't all inclusive, doesn't come from some marriage guru, and is merely the things God has shown me over the years that has allowed me to experience a real blessing in my marriage.
- Pray Together: I believe our spiritual lives need to be in unison before anything else will work properly. Pray with your spouse and your family.
- Love the Lord together. This means worship together, read the Word with one another, go to church together...
- Take care of your own spiritual life. When you know the love of Jesus intimately then you have a greater chance of looking like Jesus to your spouse. True love can only come from the source.
- Adore one another. Sounds corny right... but really, who should adore you more? When you find true love in your spouse you will not be so taken by someone else and your ability to combat temptation is far greater.
- Resist temptations... Another team killer is when we give into our temptations and find ourselves cleaning up messes rather than moving forward in our marriage. When the hook comes, don't bite it!
- Learn and develop healthy communication skills respecting each others differences. We will never agree 100% of the time. (And that's what makes us unique)
- Minimize Conflict. How often do we stand our ground on petty differences? Allow your spouse to have a differing opinion and feel free to express it without you becoming defensive.
- Establish goals that point you in the same direction. Often couples will have different goals and desires for the path of the marriage and family and not know it because they have never discussed it. Don't just assume your spouse has the same desires as you. Take time discussing where you want to go in your marriage so it doesn't go in opposite directions.
Daily In Christ - Marriage Minute Challenge
Take a minute today and share what you have done in your marriage to build teamwork. Leave a comment for others to read and benefit from your experiences. If you are struggling in the area of teamwork in your marriage I encourage you to go to the Lord today and tell Him your desires for your marriage. Then listen to Him and see if what you want is what He wants... Then begin to discuss them with your spouse and be open to where He leads you.
Blessings today as you devote your life and your marriage to Him.