Exo 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before me.
You have seen it on television or maybe even experienced it in real life. Someone says, "You need to dress nicely when you go before the judge." The reason I make this comment is to highlight a word in the verse from the book of Exodus. That word is - before.
I know that this verse might sound like it means ahead of, but the word -before- in this verse means in the presence of. "You shall not have any gods in the presence of the Almighty!" That is my paraphrase of it.
What if I did this? What if I placed God in the top spot? And not only did I lay everything else below him, but completely abstained from my earthly gods? What if God was number one and there was no number two? What if...
We, in our civilized American culture, generally don't dabble with statues and images of gods. However, I think this verse applies quite well since what is being spoke of here is simply "idolatry." Sometimes it is beneficial to go to our old trusted resource Webster to give us a clearer understanding of a word.
Idolatry: 1. The worship of idols, images, or any thing made by hands, or which is not God. Idolatry is of two kinds; the worship of images, statues, pictures, made by hands; and the worship of the heavenly bodies, the sun, moon and stars, or of demons, angels, men and animals. 2. Excessive attachment or veneration for any thing, or that which borders on adoration.
What this verse is saying to me is this... "Hey, nothing can come into the presence of God that will take away from my adoration of Him."
- What if... I shut off the television and gave my time to Him?
- What if... I found my pleasure in God rather than the praise of men?
- What if... I decided to pursue God as hard as I pursue my business deals?
- What if... I boasted over the things of God and not my accomplishments?
- What if... I adored God rather than idolize my favorite sports figure?
- What if... God took first place in my marriage and family?
- What if... The things that consumed me were the things of God?
- What if... I placed nothing else before serving God?