Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sovereignty Saturday: Is God Over All Things?

Isa 45:7 The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the LORD who does all these. (nasb)


Is there really any question who is in control? I often times look at my life and feel like I have everything under control. And then, within the blink of an eye I realize how little I am in control of.

A close friend of mine and I were talking just yesterday about the sovereignty of God. For me there is a real mystery between the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. This verse in Isaiah speaks of the sovereignty of God. He created the light and dark. He causes good and calamity. There are two words that stand out in this verse for me today that I think require careful study and understanding. They are the words "causing" and "creating."

Often times in our desire to make God more like us, we assume that He only allows good things to happen and His hands are tied when it comes to the bad things that occur in our life. It is as if He is wanting to help us but we act as though He is surprised at our circumstances and has very little that He can do. Often we even assume He isn't trying to help at all and wonder where He is.

After much suffering, counsel, and debating with God, Job made an amazing discovery.

Job 42:2-3 "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.

God is sovereign over everything. He not only causes all things to occur for our good for those called according to His purpose, (Rom 8:28-29) but He predetermines our steps (Prov 20:24) and guides us along the way.

Daily In Christ - Sovereignty of God Challenge

Ask yourself this question today, "Do I really believe God is sovereign over
all things in my life... even the difficulties and trials?"

Here are some questions to ponder as you search out this question:
  • When Jesus hand picked the twelve, did he know that Judas would betray Him? (Matt 26:21-23)
  • How did Jesus know that all of the disciples would scatter (Matt 26:31)
  • Is anything outside of the hand of the God who is able to create the heavens and the earth?
  • Did God cause the suffering of Job, the imprisonment of Joseph, the betrayal of Jesus, and other circumstances for His glory and purpose or did He respond to them after they happened?
God's sovereignty and our responsibility is not an easy thing to grasp. I am certain this post has not answered all questions about God's sovereignty. Please join me by visiting Daily In Christ every Saturday as I wrestle through the sovereignty of God. I pray that He opens your heart and mind as you dive into the Word. May God reveal His truth to you today about His awesome character.

Blessings to you as you seek His face.
Keith

No comments: