Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Would You Like Fries With That?

Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. Jas 3:7 For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. Jas 3:8 But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. (NASB)

Sometimes the simplest of things remind me of God's word. The other day while I was traveling up the Columbia River gorge with a group of guys from work we went through a drive-thru at a hamburger restaurant. Since I am not a fast food eater for the most part, I didn't order anything for myself. Not only that, but I have never been very fond of the entire drive-thru process.

You pull into a long line of emissions spewing vehicles and wait until it is your turn to yell into a little box to some guy on a headset walking around a restaurant cleaning tables. Some fast food chains now have call centers in another state and electronically send your order to the burger restaurant you are ordering from. Not the best idea if you are looking for that individual service and quality eats.

So as the orders were being taken the inevitable question came across the loud speaker, "Would you like fries with that?" Being the sarcastic guy that I can be I proceeded to say to the guy next to me in the crew hauler, "Did I ask for fries pal?"


Oh, the things we will say to others when the opportunity presents itself. Fortunately I was not heard by the guy taking the order, but God placed a little bit of conviction into my heart about the words that I say. "Why are we so able to speak words of sarcasm or criticisms to those around us easier when we aren't face to face?" This was the question I asked myself.

Here was my reminder this week from God regarding the words that come out of my mouth.

Col 4:6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. (NASB)

Lord, help me to speak words of grace and kindness to those I come into contact with rather than sarcasm. I want to reflect your ways in my heart to others and know that you will give me reminders throughout the day when I don't. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve you each day.

No comments: