Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Old Testament

Have you ever looked at the Old Testament and asked yourself, "what on earth is going on here anyway?" I have asked myself that question several times throughout my Christian walk and the answer was always the same... "I am not really sure."

I am in the middle of a study of the OT and I am seeing God's grace on His people being shown each time I open the Book. As I read through the OT study, I am understanding more clearly how and why it was written. I am intrigued by it each time I open it up.

When I became a Christian I was encouraged to read the book of John and other gospels and then I began to dive into the letters. I tried understanding the OT books but could never get a real grasp on them. Sure, I read through the Bible once, but it was for the purpose of just that, reading through the Bible.

But this time is different. Understanding the chronology of the Book and when and why it was written gives me an entirely new perspective on it. And then the stories that unfold as I read it... Murder, redemption, sacrifice, adultery, and human struggles. Hollywood can't create stories as fascinating as this.

God tells me in 2nd Timothy 3:16 that:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, ...

All scripture. Not just the stories of Jesus in the new testament or the letters written to God's people. I am encouraged by my new found enthusiasm regarding the Old Testament writings and I look forward to seeing more of God's beautiful grace displayed as I once again read the stories contained in it.

No comments: