Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

True Life Challenge: Consistency

Php 3:14-17 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained. Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.

As I read through the book of Philippians today I am encouraged by the verses Paul writes. In these words I hear the Lord speaking to my heart on the topic of consistency. It is an area that I often have a very hard time with in my life. Being on call for my job, working all hours of the day or night, and not having the ability to plan more than a couple of days in advance makes consistency a real chore.

There are three phrases in this verse that tell me that Paul was a man devoted to consistency. Though he may have run into troubles of many kinds, he kept pressing forward in the advancement of the Gospel. The three phrases are:
  • "Press on toward the goal."
  • "Hold true to what you have attained."
  • "Keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us."
Press, hold, and keep. Three amazing verbs that describe staying the course. Paul is consistent in many areas of his life and we will do well to model our walk after his. He was consistent in his message. Whether you read Romans or Ephesians, Galatians or Corinthians, Paul preached Jesus to everyone. It was a consistent message... we are saved by faith alone. Not only was his message consistent, but he lived consistent with what he taught.

We spend a lot of energy trying to make things happen in our life. Are you spending as much time doing the things for the Lord consistently? We are called to go and make disciples, and to do that we must have consistent habits of reading the Word, praying, and seeking to be like Him.

Daily In Christ - True Life Challenge

Today I encourage you to look at the words in Philippians and ask yourself, "When it comes to the things of God do I 'press' - 'hold' - and 'keep'?"

I pray today that we can look to Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, and ask Him to help us keep on keeping on!

Blessings,
Keith

No comments: