Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Friday, November 21, 2008

Getting Frustrated With The Little Things

Eph 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
(NASB)


I came into a situation this morning that had a negative outcome for me financially. Not a substantial amount of money, but money that was mine was not given to me by my employer. As I was communicating with the payroll employee I could sense that she wasn't understanding the situation and wasn't really willing to try to understand it. The more I stated my point the more I could feel the frustration welling inside of me. Then, in just a moment of silence I felt a voice speak to me, "are you going to allow a $30 discrepancy in pay tarnish your character? I have and will provide all of your needs."

At times throughout the day we all run into situations that have great potential for incredible frustration. Grocery store lines, traffic, dealing with the negativity and issues of co-workers. The list could go on and on. But today I am reminded that God is more concerned about my character than the outcome of my frustrating situations. Yes, God cares about my life and the things I encounter, but in that, He wants me to show His love and patience to others rather than my anger and frustration.

So I politely ended the conversation with the timekeeper and decided to take my frustration to God rather than have this poor woman experience my personal wrath. As I sat there for a moment I began to pray about the conversation and ask God to give me a spirit of peace about it. I thanked Him for providing for my needs and asked Him to guide me to the scriptures he would have to encourage me today. I was led to a journal writing that I wrote about 18 months ago and was able to read it and see the scriptures he placed on my heart back then.

Eph 4:30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Ephesians 4:30 says to not grieve the Holy Spirit of God. I realized after my encounter with timekeeping, if I would have been angry and frustrated with this woman I would have actually been grieving the Holy Spirit. By giving way to any wrong temper, unholy word, or unrighteous action I am in sin and therefore causing the Spirit of God grief. Verses 31-32 show me a better way.

Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.
Eph 4:32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. (NASB)


Trouble seems to find me even when I am not looking for it. Satan has a way of undermining our successes and would have loved for me to get upset with this person rather than displaying patience and restraint. It would have caused her grief, me grief, and would have made me lose heart for a period of time which would have taken my focus off of Christ and His Spirit that is in me.

Life is full of frustrations big and small. Today I chose to give into the Spirit of God and not allow my humanness get the best of me. God's word is there for guidance and how I live my life is a reflection as to whether or not I am willing to listen to His instructions.

Thank you Lord for giving me your Word and allowing me to be victorious in it. Please continue to show me how to live true to you and not be grievous to the Spirit that You have placed in me.

No comments: