Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Have Been Crucified With Christ - Part Four

Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

I have been discovering over the past several days what being crucified with Christ means for a born again believer. It isn’t a physical death and resurrection, but a spiritual death and rebirth. Being crucified with Christ is to die to the law. To die to sin. And to die to the desires of my flesh.

In the next part of the verse I am encouraged by knowing that Christ lives in me. I no longer live by my old standards and desires, but I live differently because of the indwelling of Christ. I am a renewed person in the likeness of God and I now pursue holiness and conformity with Jesus.

In my last post I saw what it means to live by faith in the Son of God. Faith is defined as complete trust or confidence in someone or something. When we live by faith in Jesus we are putting our complete trust in Him and who He is. No longer living in the flesh. Making a choice to live by faith in the Son of God changes us. I seek a life that looks more like His.

Today I am considering the final part of this verse:

who loved me and gave himself for me.

This verse, Gal 2:20, was one I memorized early on in my Christian walk. I have probably said it over and over at least one thousand times. And as I would say it, I never grasped the true meaning of and magnitude of what is packed into it. Until recently…

As I meditate on this final portion of the verse I am overwhelmed by the Love of God for me. I know for myself, the love of God is something I have taken for granted often. I believe the reason for this is that I really don’t grasp the severity of my sin before Him. Because of the Grace of God, killing sin doesn’t always take shape the way it should. So in this last post on Gal 2:20 I want to spend a little time understanding why this last phrase, “who loved me and gave himself for me,” has so much significance.

Rom 5:10 tells us: For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

While we were enemies… The first reason I find this last part of verse 20 in Galatians so significant is that Christ died for me as an enemy. Do you remember what Jesus says in Matt 5:44? He says to love your enemies. This verse shows me that Jesus doesn’t only teach the things of God, but actually fleshed them out for you and for me. While we were enemies of God He took the punishment on the cross for our disobedience. He paid the ultimate price so I could live free in Him. How amazing is that? He gave himself up for me. Not a group of people, not the whole world (which he did), but for me as an individual. I was on His mind while He was on the cross.

Secondly, I am in awe of the fact that the creator of the universe loved me. Not because of anything I have done or will do. Just because He loves me. Eph 1:4-5 says before the foundation of the world he chose me because of His love. When I try to wrap my mind around that one I can only be amazed.

In summary, God loved me before the foundation of the world. And in that great love for me, He sent Jesus to live a perfect life and die on the cross taking the punishment I deserve. John: 15:13 tells us that no greater love is this, than one would lay his life down for his friend. What about laying your life down for your enemies? That is what Jesus did for me… and you!

Blessings,
Keith

Part one

Part two

Part three

No comments: