Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Uganda Update

Uganda update from team member Katie:

"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

This seems to be the ongoing quote in the last 24 hours. We are all so shocked that we are finally here, in this beautiful and very different place, that we have to keep commenting on God's amazing miracles that brought us all here.

At this moment it is 6:30 pm here in Uganda, (8:30 am in Oregon) and we are wrapping up our first day in the Agape Children's Village. The team is currently eating dinner and tonight the menu I believe is posho and beans. (Hope I spelled that right!) The best way to describe this meal is that it is very similar to mashed potatoes and beans. This meal, we have been told, is a staple here in Uganda.

told, is a staple here in Uganda.

Reflecting back on the day we had makes me smile from ear to ear. For the most part it was a very relaxing day filled with meeting everyone, touring the village, and playing with all the beautiful kids! I don't think I ever saw a team member not smiling. It is impossible to not be filled with God's peace and joy when surrounded by all these children and their contagious smiles as well as their infectious love for the Lord.

I saw team members doing everything with the kids, and the kids loved it! Keith, Jan, and Kevin all played volleyball, which seems to be a village favorite, with the kids at different times; Mickey, as well as many other team members, had a child's hand wrapped around his own almost every moment, and Colleen and I spent some very precious time reading the Bible with a group of about 8 kids at their request!

I have to say, Colleen and I were almost teary eyed at the experience we shared together with a small group of kids. About 5-8 kids came running up to Colleen and I asking us to bring out our Bible, because they wanted us to read it to them. Honestly I was very stunned and confused. At first, I wasn't sure that I had understood them correctly. Seconds later we were all sitting on the steps outside the team house reading God's Word! However, Colleen and I were definitely not doing the reading. Once I opened my Bible, one by one they started shouting out passages they wanted me to flip to. Once there, they'd all recite the verse! They must have referenced and recited about ten verses. It was incredible. I really don't think I've seen Christ more clearly than when I heard these children recite John 3:16 together in the most loving and sincere voices. I honestly don't know why I didn't break down in tears when a couple of the children told Colleen and I they loved us when we were done.

I think I can speak for the whole team when I say all of our lives were changed today, even if just by a little, and we still have 2 weeks to go! We are all definitely enjoying the people, the food, the environment, but most of all, seeing the Holy Spirit all over this village. Like a lot of things in this world, God's fingerprints are very evident and seen here in Uganda and especially at the Agape Children's Village.

As for prayer, we are always appreciative for it, but here are some specific prayer requests:

- Bill James has been sick since last night. He thinks it might have been something he ate, but whatever it is, please pray for a quick recovery.

- Kevin burst a blood vessel in his wrist today while playing volleyball with the kids. He's ok and his hand is functioning, but it's definitely sore. Please pray for his pain to go away.

- Tomorrow we start the work projects. Some people will be digging a trench for a new water line. Some people will be doing carpentry work around the village. Some people will be painting and helping Danyal with the kids. Please pray that everyone stays safe and hydrated, as well as for the work to go by quickly and productively.

- Finally, the village is putting on a carnival this Saturday as an outreach to the community. The girls will start preparing for that this week. Please be praying that the outreach is what the Lord wants it to be, that many people come, and that many people hear the Gospel.




No comments: