Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Friday, January 18, 2013

Who Am I? Finding Identity In A Mixed Up World.

1 John 3:1-3 ESV  See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  (2)  Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.  (3)  And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

There are so many things for us to identify with. Our identity is central to the things we pursue and what we believe to be true about ourselves. Many of us identify ourselves with our job. I am a...doctor, school teacher, contractor, stay at home mom, etc... Often we identify who we are with our athletic capabilities. And on the darker side of things, many of us identify ourselves with the negative beliefs we carry from our past. Most core beliefs we have about our identity were formed when we were a small child and changing them on our own is not easy. You have probably heard the phrase quoted many years back by Henry Ford, the creator of the Ford automobile.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't -- you're right."

What we believe about ourselves, whether it stems from childhood or has been developed over the years, will shape who we are and who we become.

John shares with us in the book of 1John that we are called "Children of God." When we lay down our past hurts, our accomplishments, and our challenges at the foot of the cross we are then able to begin the process of building our new identity in Jesus. Paul tells us that when we give our heart to the Lord we are a new creation. The old self has passed away. The things we struggle with, the accomplishments we think prove our worth, and the insecurity of future events no longer have to be our identity. We are now a child of the King. Our identity can now be based on something unchangeable, unshakeable, immoveable.

As children of God all things are possible. We no longer have to be burdened by our past failures because we have the Creator of the universe as our Heavenly Father. With Christ as our identity we no longer have to strive for the things of the world to bring us fulfillment. Our purpose and pleasure is to please Him.

Gal 1:10 - For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

If you identify in you job, you will need to always perform in a way that you wont let yourself down. If you identify yourself as an athlete you must be the best athlete or you will begin to feel like a failure. And if you are seeking the approval of men and try to identify yourself with whether or not you are accepted, you will always be let down. But when you seek your identity in Christ and pursue Him you will never need to perform. You will never feel like a failure. And you will never be let down.

Where is you identity placed? Do you see yourself as a Child of God. One who has an eternal inheritance that will never be lost, stolen, or replaced. Or do you identify with the things of the world that are shaky at best?

Prayer: Lord, I want to find my identity in you and you alone. Help me to release the negative beliefs I have carried for so long and see myself the way you created me to be. I want to find all of my joy, hope, and fulfillment in you Lord and not the things of this world. You are my Rock and I am so thankful that you call me your child. Amen...







No comments: