Welcome To Daily In Christ Devotionals

Psalm 119:10-11 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not
wander from your commandments! I have stored up your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Come by and see our complete Updated Website
www.DailyInChrist.net

Monday, April 11, 2011

What If... I Trusted God For My Happiness?

God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself,
because it is not there. There is no such thing. ~ C. S. Lewis

How often have you tried to find pleasure in the things of the world only to be eventually let down? Simple pleasures do bring temporary comfort and short term happiness, but they cannot compare to real happiness that comes only from God.

I read this quote from C. S. Lewis recently and it caused me to really assess where my happiness came from. Do I rely on the pleasures of this world to fill the space that was designed for only the Creator to fill? When I pursue worldly happiness I am, in a way, actually seeking after my own unhappiness.

I may "feel" happy for awhile, but that feeling will eventually give way to dissatisfaction. Therefore I will ultimately be unhappy and attempt once again to travel away from the path of God seeking pleasures that I know will ultimately not satisfy.

What if I sought after God whole heartily and was happy in Him? What would that look like?

It might take the shape of giving up some of the things of this world for eternal things. It may look like putting the needs of my neighbor before my own. It could, and should look like sacrifice in one form or another.

If Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him then, why can't I? Can I find joy in giving and sacrifice? Does God want me to be happy by holding the hand of a child or giving a cup of water to one who thirsts? What if I sought after True happiness?

What if I sought after my happiness in following Jesus?

No comments: